Leading maths K–6 with Anita
insert intro text
Anita’s Primary Mathematics Framework
Anita Chin’s Primary Mathematics Framework (Chin, 2020) is the culmination of more than 25 years’ experience in leading and teaching mathematics in Australian schools. The Framework combines a strong evidence base with Anita’s extensive knowledge of what works best in primary maths classrooms.
Anita works with schools to develop a whole-school approach which aligns with their strategic direction for mathematics. All professional learning is underpinned by her Framework which provides leaders and teachers with a structure to support whole school improvement in maths.
Establishing a school Maths Crew
Maths needs a team: a crew of classroom teachers and leaders who are passionate about maths and love sharing tips and success stories with their colleagues. This maths leadership team is what we call your Maths Crew – the ‘go to’ people for maths at your school.
Your Maths Crew supports your classroom teachers to develop their content knowledge and teaching practice, and also ensures all teachers have the resources they need.
Anita’s tools for maths leaders
Anita’s Ultimate Toolkit
Anita’s 360 Degree Reflection Tool
Anita’s Planning Guide
Courses for maths leaders
All professional learning courses are delivered in person by Anita. You can choose when and how to engage with Anita.
Option one | each course delivered on-demand at your school
- when and where: invite Anita to your school for customised PL at a date/s that align with your school PL plans
- who: unlimited number of participants eg. School leadership team (executive) and maths enthusiasts (classroom teachers)
- cost: $4500 per day plus travel (Anita is Sydney based).
Option two | send a team to a ticketed two-day event
- when and where: see list of Current Events here
- who: a team of 2 to 8 educators eg. School leadership team (executive) and maths enthusiasts (classroom teachers)
- cost: $800 per person for a two-day event.
Effective Leadership of Maths K-6 using Anita Chin's Framework: Day 1 (5 hours)
Implementing a consistent whole-school approach to the teaching and learning of mathematics can be challenging. This course is the first of two intensive full days of training to develop your maths leaders (aka ‘Maths Crew’) to energise and prioritise mathematics at your school. It supports their growth as maths educators and empowers them with the skills and confidence to lead their colleagues: preparing them for the role of leading school-wide improvement in maths.
Every participant receives Anita Chin’s Ultimate Toolkit for Primary Maths Leaders (2021) containing all printed course materials. Each school receives Anita Chin’s 360 Degree Reflection Tool (2021) and Anita’s Planning Guide (2021).
- Explore the principles of establishing a ‘Maths Crew’ at their school: a group of maths enthusiasts who will lead the school’s maths journey
- Understand Anita Chin’s Primary Mathematics Framework (2020) which provides a structure for implementing a consistent and sustainable whole-school approach to maths
- Learn about developmental sequences of learning in the NSW Mathematics K–6 Syllabus (2012)
- Experience participating in examples of high-quality teaching and learning of maths with a focus on the first four elements (pink layer 1) of Anita’s Framework: language, visual models, concrete materials, written recordings
- Reflect on your school’s current practices in maths using Anita’s Reflection Tool.
Effective Leadership of Maths K-6 using Anita Chin's Framework: Day 2 (5 hours)
Implementing a consistent whole-school approach to the teaching and learning of mathematics can be challenging. This course is the second of two intensive full days of training to develop your maths leaders (aka ‘Maths Crew’) to energise and prioritise mathematics at your school. It supports their growth as maths educators and empowers them with the skills and confidence to lead their colleagues: preparing them for the role of leading school-wide improvement in maths.
Leaders will experience Anita’s unique delivery of a ‘5-part lesson structure’ with a focus on the next three elements (layer 2 – green) of Anita’s Framework: structuring lessons, lesson warm-up, activity design. This is usually delivered as a 60-minute demonstration lesson with Stage 2 students. Alternatively, leaders ‘become the student’ for the lesson!
- Learn how to structure a high-quality maths lesson
- Learn about purposes and strategies for the lesson warm-up (aka ‘the curtain raiser’) to engage students
- Experience whole-class differentiated instruction
- Consider activity design when planning lessons
- Plan strategies for a consistent and sustainable whole-school approach to mathematics for their school context.
Maths Leadership Team Reflection and Planning: Check-in Meeting (1 hour)
This course is a Check-in Meeting for schools who are partnering with Anita as part of a sustained learning journey. It is delivered in person at your school, in conjunction with a day of customised whole-staff professional learning such as demonstration lessons.
Effective Leadership of Maths K-6 using Anita Chin's Framework: Day 3 (5 hours)
course description coming soon
Effective Leadership of Maths K-6 using Anita Chin's Framework: Reflection and Planning Day (5 hours)
course description coming soon
Planning your leaders’ learning journey
Your school maths leadership team can benefit from Anita’s professional learning in a number of ways.
Partnering with Anita: a sustained journey
Drawing on her expertise and experience, Anita will work closely with your School Leader and Maths Leader to develop a customised strategic plan for school improvement to suit your school’s unique needs, budget and timeframe. Anita’s visits to your school for termly cycles of professional learning with leaders, teachers and students are a powerful and inspirational way to fast track a whole-school approach for maths and see sustained school success.
Grab and go PL: two-day course
If your school already has an established Maths Leadership team, you may already be well equipped with the tools and strategies you need for school-wide improvement. In this case, your Maths Leadership Team may choose to just attend the two-days of professional learning with Anita and then implement all the ideas with their stage/grade teams without Anita’s sustained support.