This whole-school one day workshop provides teachers with practical activities for immediate implementation in the classroom and provides leaders with strategies to develop a whole-school approach to differentiation. The presenter, Anita Chin, will model how she teaches directly from the online NSW Mathematics K-10 Syllabus for the Australian Curriculum showing how the ‘big ideas’ for Number and Algebra develop K-8, and how concepts connect across substrands. Educators will be empowered with pedagogical content knowledge and appropriate tools to differentiate instruction to meet the wide range of needs and abilities in a mixed-ability and/or multi-aged classroom.
- work in stage/grade based PLTs with the goal of planning a lesson to implement
- engage in a range of developmentally sequenced parallel tasks
- discuss how open-ended questions can be used with their students
Whole-class instruction strategies modelled for differentiating both the concept being taught as well as the concrete materials selected includes the use of:
- mathematical language to teach for a conceptual understanding of multiplication and division concepts
- an interactive whiteboard or a large format touchscreen to annotate over the images in the online syllabus document to make the mathematics visible
- one resource for the whole class differentiated to individual learning needs and abilities by changing the size of the number e.g. dot dice, 0-9 dice, 1-20 dice
- black line master insert sheets used with student white board insert sleeves e.g. ten-frames, dot array, 1 cm area grid.
Black line masters and links to resources provided.
Course code: 5H-DIFF
Audience: All educators K-6 from the one school i.e. classroom teachers, learning assistance teachers, executives and the Principal.
Cost: All tailored on-site events incur a fixed Presenters Fee (see course web page for details) and a variable travel cost.
Bookings: Available on request. Contact Anita Chin via the website contact page.