ChinUP professional learning events are two-hour after-school workshops, hosted by primary schools across NSW. They are designed for teams of up to 8 educators and are open to anyone, from any sector and any school. Individuals and casual teachers are also very welcome to attend.
Presented by Anita Chin
Audience: Early career teachers, experienced teachers, Mathematics/Numeracy leaders.
Course code: UCPV0023
NESA PD Hours: 2 hours
Cost: $140 (incl GST) per person
Do your students have a deep understanding of whole numbers (K-6) and decimal numbers (Yrs 4-6)? Are they part-part-whole thinkers or do they just move digits from column to column? When students see the ten-ness structure, this understanding can then be applied to more complex thinking in later grades such as ratio and proportional reasoning.
The presenter, Anita Chin will help you find a balance between concrete materials, visual models and formal written recordings by using basic concrete materials that you can pick up and run with. You will experience and understand how whole-class differentiated instruction is doable.
This hands-on workshop will empower you with strategies to:
- simplify and streamline your equipment and other teaching tools
- create good worksheets that can be adapted to all grade levels
- use the one resource for whole-class differentiated instruction.
Anita will demonstrate how key concrete materials can be easily and effectively used in the Yrs 3-6 classroom, including: place value arrows, place value dice, base-10 materials. Participants will engage with a developmental sequence of classroom-ready whole-class tasks which make the maths visible. Fun will be had with the following activities:
- card matching activity ‘Representations’
- pencil and paper activity sheet ‘Make 100, 1000, 10, 1’
- the use of a range of hundreds charts (1 to 100, 0.1 to 10, 0.01 to 1, -49 to 50) with whiteboard insert sleeves, ‘Missing Numbers’ worksheets, ‘Hundreds Chart Jigsaws’, and ‘Window Spin’.
Blackline masters and an e-folder of resources provided.
What to bring
- a hard copy of the NSW Mathematics K-6 Syllabus for the Australian Curriculum (the ‘orange book’)
- post-it notes
- yellow highlighter
- your 6-digit NESA number.
Event Details | Central Coast
Date: Wednesday 13 March 2019 (Term 1, wk 7)
Venue: Berkeley Vale Public School – Library. 6 Pindarri Ave, Berkeley Vale NSW 2261
Parking: Free street parking on Pindarri Ave, Henry Parkes Dr and Waroon Ave.
Online ‘grab & go’ tickets: Close Thursday 7 March 2019 (T1, wk 6)
Just nominate one person to pay for the number of tickets your school needs (on one order), then participants provide their details at the ChinUP event. Easy!