Presented by Anita Chin
ChinUP professional learning events are two-hour after school ‘open’ workshops, hosted by primary schools across NSW and the ACT. ChinUPs are designed for teams of up to eight educators and are open to teachers from any sector and any school. A great ‘top up’ to your professional learning plans!
Audience: Classroom teachers, learning support teachers, casual teachers, mathematics/numeracy leaders, executives.
Course code: CU10-LANG
NESA PD Hours: 2 hours
Cost: $140 (incl GST) per person
Mathematics is a language that requires knowledge of concepts and skills, and the ability to interpret words, symbols and graphics. However, many students struggle with knowing how to use what they know when faced with unfamiliar problems.
Presented by Anita Chin, this hands-on workshop will empower educators with the tools and strategies to intentionally embed the language of mathematics in your lessons, enhancing outcomes for all learners.
Participants will engage with classroom-ready tasks, tools and talk using:
- scaffolding sheets for students
- curriculum language word walls for teachers
- word cards for teacher instruction and cloze passages for student pair work
- Singapore bar model picture cards and concrete materials to interpret word problem types and operations
- ten-frames to transform word problems to number sentences.
A broad range of whole-class instruction strategies will be modelled, including:
- mathematical images from the online syllabus to tell or write a story
- graphics in measurement word questions used in NAPLAN tests requiring fluency with number lines
- drawing a diagram and/or setting out work in a logical manner to solve measurement word questions in NAPLAN tests
- NAPLAN test questions to connect measurement concepts to prior learning in number concepts
- journal writing.
Blackline masters and links to resources provided.
Completing ChinUP The Language Demands of Word Problems, K-6 will contribute 2 hours of NESA
Registered PD addressing 2.5.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.